Monday, January 2, 2012

Book of Proverbs, Jesus' Forgiveness, Psychology

This morning in church we did a bible study on Chapter 1 of Proverbs. I have never given much thought to this book of the bible until recently. One of my favorite bible teachers, Jacob Prasch, often teaches that the Book of Proverbs is the Christian's psychology book. When I first heard this I found it to be quite interesting since I work in a field where psychology is highly valued. I have never respected psychology because I believe it gives man an excuse for his sin. I believe most, if not all, mental problems come from past sin or hurts in a persons life. I have noticed when I get depressed about something that it usually has to do with something stupid that I did in the past. So what do I do when I feel this way? If I need forgiveness I ask Jesus to forgive me.
In 1 John 1:9 it says, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
No matter what we have done God promises to forgive us. Now I am not using this as a license for sin, but just to tell you that no matter what you have done you can be forgiven. Why would we want to pound the nails into Jesus hands all the more by continuing in sin?

One of the other areas I have a problem with the mental health field is the idea of self-esteem. This is a big thing in James Dobson's ministry or so I have been told. You want some self-esteem? Try this: If you were the only person ever created Jesus would have come and died for you because of your sins! That's right, the Creator of the universe DIED FOR YOU!! How much more self-esteem do you need?

One more area that I believe people get bogged down in mental health related issues is the area of unforgiveness. In the bible Jesus commands us to forgive others: 
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15

God will not forgive us if we do not forgive others. I admit at times this is extremely hard but I have noticed that when I forgive somebody a weight is lifted off my shoulders.

Well, that is my rant for the day. So next time you feel that you need 'mental help' just remember the cost that Jesus felt that you were worthy for him to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment